Dec. 24 – The Golddiggers – Silent Night (1969)
One of the first Christmas albums I recorded from vinyl was “We Need A Little Christmas” by The Golddiggers.
The Golddiggers were most well known as performers/backup singers on Dean Martin’s TV show. This album was recorded during that period and is full of some great late 60’s Christmas spirit.
The lead vocal on this particular number was provided by 19 year-old Nancy Bonetti (now Nancy Bonetti Ray), who I’ve chatted with a bit on Facebook.
It’s great that this fantastic Christmas music is now available for all to hear again and it’s nice to connect to the people that performed it and give them the credit and appreciation they deserve!
Merry Christmas, Nancy!
Here’s the track listing so far (links are to purchase MP3 at Amazon):
- Deck The Halls – The Music City Brass
- Christmas Candy – Margaret Whiting and Jimmy Wakely
- Ebenezer Scrooge – Teresa Brewer
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer – John Klein
- Baby, It’s Cold Outside – Joanie Sommers
- Frosty the Snowman – Esquivel and His Orchestra
- The Christmas Song – Judy Garland and Mel Torme
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas – The Hollyridge Strings
- Mister Santa – Dorothy Collins
- Santa Claus is Comin’ to Town – The Three Suns
- Sleigh Ride – Ira Ironstrings
- Twelve Days of Christmas – Kenny Burrell
- Winter Wonderland – Johnny Tillotson
- Christmas Spirit – The Four Lads
- You Don’t Have to Be a Santa Claus – The Mill Brothers
- A Pocketful of Mistletoe – Sonny James
- Vive Le Vent (Jingle Bells) – Dalida
- Christmas Day is Coming – Los Blue Diamonds
- The Holiday of Love – The King Family
- The Little Drummer Boy – The Soulful Strings
- A Holly Jolly Christmas – The Fireside Singers
- Silver Bells – Doris Day
- Christmas Is… – Jack Jones
- Silent Night – The Golddiggers
Here’s the link to the whole mix: FaLaLaLaLa 2012 ADVENTure in Carols
Check back each day between now and Christmas for a new song. And subscribe to the playlist on Spotify for updates as well.