Notice: ob_end_clean() [ref.outcontrol]: failed to delete buffer. No buffer to delete in /home/brossmac/falalalala.com/fireside/index.php on line 95
You Pick The Record II

FaLaLaLaLa Fireside

Poll

What record should Ernie share next?

Christmas; Time For Song-Featuring Thurlow Spurr And The Spurrlows Singing 12 Seasonal Favorites
3 (23.1%)
New England Sleigh Ride-Music For The Christmas Season, Volume 1-Robert Way, Orchestra And Chorus
1 (7.7%)
Christmas Bells-Paul Mickelson Playing Symphonic Carillon And Vibraharp
1 (7.7%)
The Pied Pipers (And Other Great Hollywood Vocal Stars) Sing Favorite Christmas Carols-George Mather At The Console
7 (53.8%)
Merry Christmas From David Frost And Billy Taylor
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Voting closed: October 21, 2005, 12:38:46 AM

Author Topic: You Pick The Record II  (Read 5946 times)

Offline Ernie

• Santos L. Halper
  • Santa's Little Helper
  • What happens when I type here?
    • Ernie (Not Bert)
You Pick The Record II
« on: October 14, 2005, 12:38:46 AM »
Howdy all!

That last poll went pretty well, so here's another chance for you to pick the record I'm sharing.テつ  Have a look at the record descriptions below, and vote for your favorite! (In the event of a tie, I get to choose what record to share!!!!)テつ Let's see if we can get more than 16 votes this time around.

Christmas; Time For Song-Featuring Thurlow Spurr And The Spurrlows Singing 12 Seasonal Favorites (Word Records, WST-8310-LP, 1965?)

The cover of this one is just the title and artist name drawn in to the general shape of a head, and then a Santa hat is drawn on top. I'm not describing it well, but it's interesting. It reminded me of a cover by Big "Tiny" Little for some reason. Word is a religious label out of Waco, Texas, but there's nothing in the liner notes that imply any religious content. The tracks seem to be an even split between religious carols and popular songs like Rudolph and Jingle Bells. Oh, and there is lots of talk about Chrysler and Dodge in the liner notes, they seem to have sponsored a tour by the group. Thurlow seems to still be active, check out his website.

New England Sleigh Ride-Music For The Christmas Season, Volume 1-Robert Way, Orchestra And Chorus (Mobil Oil/Fleetwood Recording, FCLP3023)

Don't know what to think of this one. At first I thought it was a typical gas station give-away, but it's all by the same artist, and half of the tracks are originals. Cover is a drawing of a two-horse open sleigh.

Christmas Bells-Paul Mickelson Playing Symphonic Carillon And Vibraharp (RCA Victor LPM-1115, 1955)

Could be good, could be bad. Hard to say. Cover is a very dark image of a very big bell. I threw it in since many of you like the organ tracks. Not that a carillon is an organ, but it's big and loud, and you play it from a keyboard... More info from the web-Paul Mickelson played organ for Billy Graham for a number of years and recorded for Word Records before founding his own religious label in the sixties.

The Pied Pipers (And Other Great Hollywood Vocal Stars) Sing Favorite Christmas Carols-George Mather At The Console (Tops L 1650, 1958)

I was wondering who those "Other Great Hollywood Vocal Stars" could be, since they aren't listed on the cover or the back of the sleeve. The LP label lists them, though. Bill Reeve, Norma Zimmer, John Gabriel, Doris Drew, and on one track only, Thurl Ravenscroft! Great cover on this one, too. Great closeup of a baby looking off-screen in front of a Christmas tree.

Calypso Christmas-The De Paur Chorus, Leonard De Paur, Conductor (Columbia CL 923)

Again, a great cover, this time a drawing of a couple dancing in front of a palm tree decorated for Christmas. No idea what the tunes could be like, but there do appear to be all originals, or at least all tracks I've never heard of. Whoops, this one is out on CD. Gotta dig up something else for you.

Merry Christmas From David Frost And Billy Taylor (Bell 6053, 1970)

In honor of David Frost joining the al-Jazeera TV network, here's a little LP he released way back when. It looks like he doesn't actually sing on this, though, but he does recite a poem. The music is left to Billy Taylor and a number of others, such as Ella Mitchell, Gerri Granger and Frank Wess. Phil Ramone had a hand in the production, too. Keep in mind this is the same label that brought you The Partridge Family...
e

When on the World Wide Web, visit Ernie (Not Bert)

Offline Tru5t

• Elf, Second Class
  • Yeah yeah, we're Thankful...now on with Christmas
Re: You Pick The Record II
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 04:01:46 AM »
Ernie, what's wrong with Calypso Christmas?  :huh: That one would have received my vote.

Online The King of Jingaling

• Administrator
  • Santa's Little Helper
    • FaLaLaLaLa
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 04:09:06 AM »
Ernie, what's wrong with Calypso Christmas?  :huh: That one would have received my vote.

It's available on cd.

Offline Ernie

• Santos L. Halper
  • Santa's Little Helper
    • Ernie (Not Bert)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 01:36:11 PM »
Ernie, what's wrong with Calypso Christmas?テつ :huh: That one would have received my vote.

Yeah, Calypso Christmas is available on CD out there.テつ  I thought it was funny to type all that in, then strike it out.テつ  Perhaps not.テつ  I think I have a Bahamian Christmas record somewhere that may be worth sharing at some point.テつ  We'll have to wait and see how the season shakes out.
e

Offline Tru5t

• Elf, Second Class
  • Yeah yeah, we're Thankful...now on with Christmas
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2005, 04:35:33 PM »
It's available on cd.

Ahh, very good reason. :-)  I'll have to check it out.

Offline Ernie

• Santos L. Halper
  • Santa's Little Helper
    • Ernie (Not Bert)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2005, 01:41:11 AM »
I'm going to try to get the records scanned for you before the contest ends so you can get a small idea of what you are voting for.テつ Here's the first one I got done:

Christmas; Time For Song Featuring; Thurlow Spurr And The Spurrlows Singing 12 Seasonal Favorites!

More to come!

(And if you're interested, I've got quite a few more Christmas LP covers posted over at Flickr.
e

Offline karloff3

• Santa's Little Helper
    • Hamiltonium
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2005, 04:13:40 AM »
Hey, Ernie, stop teasing us with the "Three Suns Christmas Party" LP cover you've got up there!  :mellow:

Online The King of Jingaling

• Administrator
  • Santa's Little Helper
    • FaLaLaLaLa
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2005, 02:32:57 PM »
Hey, Ernie, stop teasing us with the "Three Suns Christmas Party" LP cover you've got up there!  :mellow:

Most of the Three Suns Christmas stuff isn't like their Ding Dong Dandy Christmas.  It's much more middle-of-the-road.  But it's still pretty good.

Offline Dinsdale Kringle

• Elf, Second Class
    • Senses Working Overtime
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2005, 08:39:22 PM »
Much tougher choice this time around. I've been searching in vain for the Frost album for a couple of years but not even my deepest anorak-ish yearnings can overcome those two words - Thurl Ravenscroft! ^_^

No matter which one wins - Thanks very much indeed for sharing!!

Offline Ernie

• Santos L. Halper
  • Santa's Little Helper
    • Ernie (Not Bert)
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2005, 02:04:08 AM »
Here's another record cover from the five you get to choose from:

This is the David Frost and Billy Taylor-Merry Christmas LP.
e

Copyright © FaLaLaLaLa Fireside