Notice: ob_end_clean() [ref.outcontrol]: failed to delete buffer. No buffer to delete in /home/brossmac/falalalala.com/fireside/index.php on line 95
Hallmark Christmas CD's

FaLaLaLaLa Fireside

Author Topic: Hallmark Christmas CD's  (Read 1595 times)

Offline www.randysrodeo.com

• Elf, First Class
  • Baby Jesus, born to rock!
    • Hip Christmas
Hallmark Christmas CD's
« on: September 12, 2010, 10:07:10 PM »
My interest in Hallmark Christmas CD's has always been fairly tangential since my tastes run more toward rock 'n' soul. But, I just ran across one, The Tradition Of Christmas (1991), with the only holiday tracks ever recorded (I think) by Jennifer Warnes, who's a peach of a vocalist. It also features Harry Belafonte, the American Boychoir, and the London Symphony Orchestra.

So, my question is this: has anyone bothered keeping track of these things? There seems to be about one per year, and they are frequently repackaged in subsequent years. To confuse matters, there's a budget-oriented company that's started issuing albums (e.g. Eddie Fisher) under the same label name (Hallmark). Anyway, off the top of my head, I know of discs featuring:

• Anne Murray (1993)
  • Diana Ross (1994)
  • Natalie Cole (1998)
  • Olivia Newton-John and Vince Gill (2000)
  • Amy Grant and Vince Gill (2001)
  • Tony Bennett (2002)
  • James Taylor (2004)
  • Michael McDonald (2005)
  • George Strait (2006)
  • Barry Manilow (2007)
  • Sheryl Crow (2008)

Obsessive/compulsives, start your engines!

Offline Get2Me

• Santa's Little Helper
Re: Hallmark Christmas CD's
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 10:41:28 PM »
2003's Hallmark Christmas release featured CCM artist Steven Curtis Chapman. It was later reissued for mass distribution with additional tracks in 2005.
Peter Lo Ricco

"The secret of Christmas is not the things you do at Christmastime, but the Christmas things you do all year through."

Offline Noma Lights

• Assistant Elf
  • "Better to light a single candle..."
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 10:51:28 PM »
A List, courtesy of Ohgreatone from Dave's Forum:

1985 Best Loved Christmas Carols (lp)
1986 Listen to the Joy (lp)
1987 Songs  for the Holidays (lp)
1988 Joy to the World (lp)
1989 Carols of Christmas (LP)
1990 Sounds of Christmas Around the World Julie Andrews
1991 Traditions of Christmas Harry Belafonte
1992 Celebrate Christmas Sandy Patti
1993 The Season Will Never Grow Old Anne Murray
1994 Making Spirits Bright Diana Ross
1995 Repeat the Sounding Joy Glen Close
1996 Its Christmas Sandi Patti
1997 (13th edition) Trisha Yearwood - Home for the Holidays
1998 Christmas with You Natlie Cole
1999 (15th edition) Johnny Mathis & CeCe Winans - Listen! It's Christmas
2000 (16th edition) Vince Gill & Olivia Newton-John - 'Tis the Season
2001 The Spirit of Christmas Amy Grant
2002 Christmas with Tony Bennett
2003  Christmas is all in the Heart  Stephen Curtis Chapman
2004 A Christmas Album James Taylor
2005 Through the Many Winters Michael McDonald
2006 Fresh Cut Christmas George Strait
2007 In the Swing of Christmas Barry Manilow
2008 Home for Christmas  Sheryl Crow
2009 - None issued

A pretty good run for a promotional item...but the topper so far has been True Value Hardware with 40 "albums" released.

Obsessive/compulsives, start your engines!

Hey! I resemble that remark!...sort of  :angry:   ;)

Noma

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
    • Stubbys House of Christmas
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:24:08 PM »
The first Hallmark release was back in 1985.  Goldmine guru Tim Neely says he's got them all.  Of the early ones, I've got one with Sarah Vaughn, but I can't tell you anything about the others.

As for Jennifer Warnes, her career has been long and diverse enough that I would be very skittish about saying what she may or may not have recorded.  I just can't get past the notion that she could have appeared at some point on one of those "Stars Come Out For Christmas" deals (or the earlier incarnation, "The Holiday Collection"), but she's not on any of the volumes I have.

Jennifer did have a duet with Bill Medley on the 1977 "Rudolph" soundtrack--"Show Me The Light".  In spite of the context, I never found the track especially Christmasy.  Her song on the soundtrack for "Life With Mikey", OTOH, "Cold Enough To Snow"--that song I like lots (albeit both versions are rather short).  Jennifer also did a track with David Benoit called "When The Winter's Gone (Song For A Stranger)", but, again, not really a Christmas song.

However, a quick perusal of Jennifer's website (with it's very thorough discography) reveals a 2005 duet with Michael Berube on "Little Drummer Boy/Peace On Earth" (Jennifer takes the David Bowie part) from the album "This Christmas".

PS--I think the albums Amazon attributes to "Hallmark" are actually from "Pickwick" (which is also not the same Pickwick as we remember from years gone by).  On this one, the usually untrustworthy CD Universe got it right, I think, and Amazon got it wrong.  The little logo in the lower left of these reissues also appeared on reissues last year and those were attributed to "Pickwick", so I think someone at Amazon just had a senior moment or something.  But Hallmark is plenty confusing on their own and have issued, in addition to the listing of annuals provided by Noma Lights, the occasional budget priced Christmas comp (lacking in any new material).  I'm pretty sure that when I inquired and (slightly) complained about the lack of an Xmas CD last year to Hallmark HQ, they pointed me to one of those (I passed).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 11:35:35 PM by stubbysfears »
"You got to live your life, bay-BAY, like Christmas is everyday!"--Junk Yard Saints ("Christmas Is Everyday")

Offline www.randysrodeo.com

• Elf, First Class
  • Baby Jesus, born to rock!
    • Hip Christmas
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 06:16:15 PM »
Thanks for being as A/R and O/C as me - maybe more!

FYI, according to her website, Jennifer Warnes did record a Christmas song ("On a Christmas Day") on one of three (I think) albums called "A Christmas Miracle" benefiting the Children's Miracle Network. I'm still trying to figure that one out, but many of these songs overlap with the "Stars Come Out With Christmas" and "20 Christmas Stars" series as well as an earlier CMN series. Sheesh!

Also, Jennifer's duet with Michel Bérubé can also be found on an MP3 album on Amazon called Mama's Words - A Christmas Album.

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
    • Stubbys House of Christmas
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 08:37:23 PM »
Thanks for being as A/R and O/C as me - maybe more!

Right back at ya.   ;)
"You got to live your life, bay-BAY, like Christmas is everyday!"--Junk Yard Saints ("Christmas Is Everyday")

Offline TimNeely

• Elf, Second Class
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 02:11:53 AM »
The "Hallmark" label that is doing the reissues is from England.  It has no relationship to the Hallmark Cards people, at least not to the USA Hallmark company, to the best of my knowledge.

To add to the list earlier in the thread:

The 1988 and 1989 volumes also exist on CD. (Perhaps earlier ones do, too, but the '88 is the oldest I have on CD.)
The 1990 and 1991 volumes also exist on LP. (I'd be really surprised if any later ones do.)

Hallmark issued a 2-CD compilation of highlights from their early releases at one point in the early 1990s. It's one of the many Christmas CDs I own but have not yet added to the database.

I also have a CD from Hallmark that originally came with a Christmas ornament. (I have the CD but not the ornament that came with it.) It's called Music to Trim the Tree By performed by the "New York Symphony Orchestra and Chorus" (probably an ad-hoc studio group, as the "real" New York Symphony merged with the New York Philharmonic in 1928). This might be the first Hallmark exclusive CD, as it came out in 1986.

As for the Jennifer Warnes Christmas song "On a Christmas Day": Though I have many of the Michael Lloyd-produced Children's Miracle Network CDs going back to 1992, I have found the song on only one of them, and it's this one:

Copyright © FaLaLaLaLa Fireside